When You Need Attorneys That Understand Both Sides,
You Turn To Goldman & Ehrlich

I Was Not Hired Because I Am A Senior Citizen. What Are My Rights?

On Behalf of | Jun 25, 2015 | Firm News

If you were denied a job because of your age, then it is important to note that you have legal protections. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 prohibits employers from discriminating against employees who are over the age of 40. Lyndon B Johnson signed this bill into law. Employers are not allowed to hire, fire or discharge someone who is over the age of 40 because of their age. Furthermore, it is against the law for a senior citizen to be harassed in the workplace because of their age.

It is important to note that there are certain groups that are excluded from protection under the Age Discrimination Act of 1967. This includes military personnel, independent contractors and elected officials. Businesses that have at least 20 employees, the federal government, labor organizations and local and state agencies are examples of companies that are required to comply with the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.

Older employees are also protected under the United States Equal Opportunity Commission. This is an agency that protects employees from discrimination. The United States Equal Opportunity Commission was first established in 1965.

People who are over the age of 40 have likely been in the workforce for many years. The experience of older people is one of the many things that makes them valuable to the workplace. This is why employers should not discriminate against employees because of their age.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act prohibits employers from saying that they prefer a certain age in their job ads. It also prohibits them from setting an age limit on their training programs. Additionally, employers are prohibited from forcing people to retire at a certain age, but there are some exceptions to this rule.

Because there have been protections put in place to protect older employees from age discrimination, you may be able to file a claim against the company. It is best for you to contact a lawyer if you feel you have been a victim of age discrimination. Your attorney will investigate the employer’s human resource practices and can help you get a settlement.