When You Need Attorneys That Understand Both Sides,
You Turn To Goldman & Ehrlich

My employer illegally obtained my credit report and used it to fire me

On Behalf of | Jun 25, 2015 | Firm News

When you’re fired by your employer, the first emotion might be confusion, anger or depression. However, look a little deeper and try to find out the reason behind the termination. If you are an Illinois resident and you are fired because your boss illegally obtained your credit report, your employer has actually broken the law by firing you and there are certain remedies that you are entitled to.

The law firm of Goldman and Ehrlich specializes in fighting for your rights against wrongful termination. If they have obtained your credit report against your will, there are several important things that you should be aware of.

Illinois law specifically mandates that a credit report cannot be used to deny or approve a job. That is also the case after you have already obtained the job. Employers may ask for the credit report but you have the right to refuse it. If so, they cannot obtain it behind your back because it would constitute an illegal act.

If you have been fired, make sure that you have all of your paperwork including emails or memos to you by your boss or the HR department. Gather your personal file with any warnings or discipline you may have received and any other job performance evaluations. Document your entier employment history with the firm including job title, salary and any changes that occurred over the years. Please make sure that you obtain these documents legally and that you have a right to possess them.

If you are victorious, there are many different ways that you may be compensated. Of course, you have the right to be reinstated in your job. You may also win back pay compensation. In addition, you may be awarded funds for punitive damage and emotional stress. Finally, the court can order your boss to pay all of your legal fees so nothing comes out of your pocket.

To find out more, call Goldman & Ehrlich at 312-332-6733 or contact them online. The partners will speak to you directly to provide a no obligation assessment, then walk you through your case and advise you on how best to move forward.